Followers

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

I read books to learn how to pull - Ryan Gosling

In real life he is snogging Latino lovely Eva Mendes.
His Beckham-like face and breath-taking pecs made grown women take to the streets in protest when Hangover star Bradley Cooper stole the Sexiest Man Alive title from him in December.
On-screen he has perfected the "tortured hunk" role to such an extent that his brutal movie Drive, was Rolling Stone mag's film of 2011.
Yet the hot Canadian admits when it came to playing serial seducer Jacob Palmer in comedy Crazy, Stupid, Love he had to read books and men's mags for advice on how to pull.

Ryan Gosling as Jacob in Crazy, Stupid, Love
Scrubbed up ... Ryan plays Jacob in Crazy, Stupid, Love
Ryan, 31, says: "I don't want to disappoint you, but it's not really like the film.
"I just tried to follow all the rules that men's magazines give you, like all the ways you're supposed to dress, all the exercises you're supposed to do, and all the things you're supposed to say. Just follow the letter of the law.
"I read that book, The Game. I like to call it The Lame. Or that TV show, The Pick Up Artist. I watched that.
"I don't know whether seduction can be taught or not. But these gentlemen seem to think that they have something to say, and they have devotees.

Michelle Williams and Ryan Gosling in Blue Valentine
Blue Valentine ... with Michelle Williams
"What I like about the film is the philosophy. Even though Jacob's essentially a knucklehead, at the heart of it, he's saying: 'Don't use pick-up lines, don't make lame bar banter. Just talk to them as you would talk to one of your friends. Just talk to them.'
"So, I thought if there's any wisdom in there, that probably sounds like good advice."
Although he denies giving mates advice on how to pull - "No, no never", Ryan has had two pretty decent role models to follow himself.
George Clooney cast the Canadian as the lead in his 2011 political drama The Ides of March.
Clooney, two times winner of People magazine's Sexiest Man Alive title, later joked that while they were filming Ryan became obsessed with winning that honour.
Clooney says: "He really wants it.
"He'd been saying the whole time we were on the set: 'How did you pull that off?'
"So I called up Brad Pitt and we worked with him for weeks on the walk, we told him how to train ... everything."

Ryan Gosling
Nice wheels ... Ryan Gosling in Drive
When Cooper won Gosling fans went internet crazy, culminating in protests outside People's New York offices.
If Gosling's many appearances on the big screen have passed you by you are about to be bombarded.
Drive and Crazy, Stupid, Love are released on DVD on Monday.
Critically-acclaimed The Ides Of March will follow next month.
Gosling appears in five upcoming films including the period crime feature Gangster Squad, Tree of Life director Terrence Malick's Lawless, and a remake of the sci-fi classic Logan's Run.
The Place Beyond The Pines, a crime drama in which he is billed ABOVE Bradley Cooper, will be released later this year.
Gosling was nominated as best supporting actor for his role in Crazy, Stupid, Love in last week's Golden Globe Awards.
He missed the L.A. ceremony because he was filming gangster flick Only God Forgives in Thailand.
Ryan's Mormon upbringing in a working class mill town in Ontario, Canada, belies such success but gives a clue to his choice of brooding loner roles.
Aged five he backed the family car almost into the path of another car.
He says: "I also stood in the middle of the street trying to get hit by cars, not because I wanted to die but I wanted to be where the cars were.
"I didn't have any friends: not in a sad, 'poor me' way. I didn't want any. I liked being alone."
He says: "When I first saw Rambo, that movie put a kind of spell on me and I actually thought I WAS Rambo. So much so, that one day, I took a bunch of steak knives to school and threw them around at recess time because I thought we were in the movie.
"I'm not proud of this but I did learn a lesson - I was suspended from school."
Gosling was diagnosed with ADHD and his single mum, Donna, a teacher, home-schooled him for a year.
Acting gave him an escape from bullies who picked on him at school for being different.
He recalls: "TV was my only friend. One day I saw Raquel Welch on The Muppet Show.
"She was dancing with this big furry spider and I immediately fell in love.
"She was the first crush I ever had and I thought: 'How do I get to meet this woman?'
"Then I thought: 'Well, she's on TV, so to meet her I have to get on TV myself.'"

Ryan with Carey Mulligan in Drive
Ladies' man ... Ryan with Carey Mulligan in Drive
Aged eight Ryan was performing as a singer at weddings and talent contests with his older sister Mandi.
He attended an open audition in Montreal for the TV series "The Mickey Mouse Club" in 1993 and beat 17,000 other aspiring actors for a a spot on the show.
He says: "In my age bracket there were seven kids, three of whom were Christina Aguilera, Britney Spears, and Justin Timberlake.
While filming he lived with Timberlake's family for two years.
He says: "Filming was kind of depressing because when I got there, they realised that I wasn't really up to stuff in comparison with what some of the other kids were able to do.
"I remember they put four of us in a dance routine, but I was so off.
"I was on the end, so they just pushed the shot in closer on the other three guys to frame me out.
"I would just come in at the beginning of the show and then come back at the end."
He adds: "I'd have a sketch here or there, but I didn't end up working that much, which was disheartening."
Aged 16 Gosling bade farewell to Mickey Mouse and moved by himself to Hollywood.
He won the romantic lead in the 2004 weepie The Notebook, which brought him to the attention of the world's women.
Ironically he won the role because the director thought he 'wasn't too handsome'.
He says: "People would come up to me and tell me that they thought The Notebook was romantic, but one guy told me that he was engaged and his fiancee broke up with him after that movie because she said to him, 'You wouldn't build a house for me, would you?'
"He was like, 'Well, no, but I don't know how.'
"She said, 'But if you knew how?' and he said, 'No, I wouldn't. But it doesn't mean I don't love you.'
"She said, 'Yeah, it does.' And she called it off."
The film led to a three-year relationship with co-star Rachel McAdams.
Before that he dated Sandra Bullock for two years.
He says: "I had two of the greatest girlfriends of all time.
"Showbusiness is the bad guy. When both people are in showbusiness it's too much showbusiness.
"It takes all of the light, so nothing else can grow."
He met Eva Mendes on set and at Christmas introduced her to his mum but so far that's as far as it goes.

Ryan Gosling and Eva Mendes
Romance ... with Eva Mendes in Paris
Eroteme
He says: "I'd like to be making babies, but I'm not, so I'm making movies.
"When someone comes along I don't think I'll be able to do both and I'm fine with that.
"I'll make movies until I make babies.
"I have no idea when the handover will happen."
Until then his penchant for playing troubled mavericks is proving productive.

Ryan Gosling
Actor ... Ryan says he'll make movies before making babies
He won a best actor Oscar nomination for his 2006 role as a troubled teacher in Half Nelson.
He says: "Picking roles is sort of like when a song comes on and you've got to dance.
"You don't really know why you have to dance, you've just got to do it. So, it's a hard thing to explain. That's always changing.
"I feel very lucky. Acting is like living many lives in one. You get more than just one.
"There's instant access to everything. As with all drugs there's a dark side, but when actors talk about the downside of fame I roll my eyes.
"You say you want something, it appears.
"The people in movies become the people you know.
"Magical things happen."

No comments:

Post a Comment